Tuesday, October 11, 2011

building Dr. Killinger part 2: mask and gloves


i've been busily working on this killinger build and i have to say it's coming along nicely. i'm still awaiting the arrival of what will be my magic murder bag, and i haven't decided on an umbrella yet, but other than that i believe i've got all my components, i just need to assemble everything. i've been working on many elements of this at the same time, i don't have as many completed fully as i'd like, but but i can show you a few today.

first of all, i have to share this. the simplicity and silliness of this packaging:

yep. that's it. there's nothing else on the outside of this box, except the price tag from the surplus store i bought it from. i just found it amazing :) yep. it's a real stethoscope. no, there aren't photos of it here because i haven't painted it yet.

well, i've finished the gloves. these are just a pair of opera length costume gloves painted with fabric paint.
both sides shown here.

and the action shots (please ignore the chaos i call a studio- i'm in the middle of a project so it's a disaster area!)

in all of the costumes i'd seen, the people had chosen to make his gloves and leg coverings either all black or red... in the cartoon they appear like this. perhaps the gloves are meant to be black with red shine lines, or perhaps the other way around..... i'd contemplated finding a black satin that had a red sheen when put to light, but i wanted to go very cartooney with this costume. taking it to a weird level of surrealism since i'm obviously not a cartoon... you'll see this more pronounced when i post about the coat.

and now we have the mask. i used a piece i'd made several years ago as a form. yes, this was made from a cast of my face.

i covered it in foil

then i formed the mask over it so it fits my face exactly. i used crayola model magic for this purpose as i'd seen it recommended for this specific use before. i'd never used it before and i'm not sure if i like it.... i found it very hard to work with. hard to get anything smooth as you can see from the pictures, but i will admit it is extremely paintable and lightweight and even slightly flexible after drying which is really ideal for mask making.

as you can see, it's really still terribly rough despite my best efforts....

after a couple days of drying i pulled it off of the form and found the inside still wet and starting to crack.

here is the inside dried and the cracks up close. i filled the deepest of them with hot glue as i figured it would be flexible and strong... i ended up putting several coats of paint and modge podge on this piece just to smooth out the surface

here is a pic of the outside after the final color coat. i'll have pics of the final stages next time.

stay tuned for the next installment!
thanks so much for looking,


  1. I love that mask! This looks like it's shaping up nicely. :) (and I love the fact that you have a mold of your face on hand - I presume this isn't the first form-fitting mask you've made for yourself from this mold ;) <3 it!

  2. ....actually surprisingly it is... the "mold" is a piece i did in high school. it was a required project (we all had to make a 'mask' of our face, but could glaze it how we chose). honestly this is pretty much the third mask i've ever made (*not* counting the moose mascot head ;) i'll be making a a couple more for this winter solstice though :D